Study abroad

We highly recommend an exchange semester, as student mobilities offer various benefits. 

You can study one or two semesters abroad per study cycle (Bachelor's/Master's degree). If you plan your exchange semester accordingly and complete enough courses, your student mobility will not lead to delays in your studies at the Department of African Studies.

If you want to study a Semester abroad, you have two options. Either you study at the Department of African Studies of a European university by participating in Erasmus+, or you study at an African university through the Non-EU Student Exchange Program. Both programs provide student grants. Please note that the respective grants do not cover the entire costs of your exchange semester.

Our lecturers maintain contact to various universities and are happy to support you.

The consultance with our directorate of studies before your exchange semester serves to guarantee the recognition of the courses attended abroad.

Our student representatives are also happy to help you. They organize two information events per year:

  • October: Non-EU Exchange Program (African partner universities)
  • January: Erasmus+ (European partner universities)

Self-organized stays abroad

In addition to the participation in Erasmus+ or in the Non-EU Student Exchange Program, students may organize a semester at an African University on their own. Please note that there are no student grants by the University of Vienna for self-organized student exchange. Please consult with the directorate of studies regarding course recognition before your stay abroad.

Our lecturers may help you with the organization of a semester abroad, as they maintain contact with several African universities that are no official partner universities of the University of Vienna. 

Short-term grants abroad (KWA)

If scientific work (e.g. laboratory work, field studies, research in archives, libraries, academic collections, etc.) is necessary within the scope of your diploma/master's thesis or dissertation, you can apply for a short-term grant abroad - worldwide (KWA).